The course is for those who are employed or wish to be employed as a trainee or commis chef and would like to gain a qualification as a professional chef. There are many job roles that start with a commis chef qualification such as cooks and chefs in small and large volume establishments.
An apprenticeship is a genuine job, with training. Apprentices will learn and gain professional competencies in their chosen career, whilst receiving a wage. Apprenticeships are suitable for well-motivated people who are focused and know which career they want to follow. All apprenticeships offer high quality work-based training as an alternative to full time education. From April 2020, the apprenticeship minimum wage is £4.15 per hour. For further information on salaries, visit gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates.
Level 3 Chef de Partie apprenticeship.
4 GCSEs at grade D/3 or higher including Maths or English OR a Level 1 related qualification PLUS grade D/3 or higher in Maths or English.
Entry criteria will be applied at the discretion of the course manager.
You will study the following:
• A range of culinary skills and the preparation and cooking of a wide range of commodities including fish, meat, poultry, vegetables, stock, sauces, soup, egg dishes, bread and dough, pastry, cakes and hot and cold desserts.
• Understanding the availability, seasonality, quality and price of ingredients.
• Knowing how to store, prepare and cook ingredients in line with food safety.
• Understand professional behaviours in a kitchen.
• Understand costing of dishes and profit margins.
• Know how to support team members when required.
• Developing core behaviours including – strong work ethic, being respectful and punctual at work.
All students aged 16 -19 are required to study Functional Skills English and maths qualifications or GCSE mathematics and English if not already awarded a grade C/4 or higher in these subjects.
All LMC students will receive tutorial support.
This course is continuously assessed in the workplace and in college to build up evidence of your development across the culinary range and culinary knowledge.
There is a final End Point Assessment, carried out by an external assessor when the apprentice is deemed ready, which will consist of:
• 90 minute multiple choice test
• 3 hour practical observation in the workplace
• 2 hour culinary challenge
• 40 minute structured professional discussion
You can start this Apprenticeship at any time throughout the year.
On completion of this course you will receive the Level 2 Commis Chef Apprenticeship which nationally recognised by employers.
LMC is a great community asset and I think the local district are lucky to have such a modern, flexible and engaging place of education.
I teach a subject that I am passionate about and transfer my knowledge and skills to our students. I also work with an amazing team, every day is different and a unique challenge - the job is never boring!
I really enjoy passing on my joinery experiences and skills to the students, as well watching them develop into good citizens.
Come and join us here as LMC! You’ll gain new skills, use industry standard equipment, be taught by a dedicated team of specialists who are passionate about educating you to a higher skills level, so that you can gain an Apprenticeship or full time employment.
I enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience of animals with students and seeing a learners journey as they make progress.
The best thing about our courses is that the teaching team have excellent industry experience with up-to-date equipment and materials. We are also very focused on all of our students achieving and being successful in their chosen careers.