Apply today for a full time, T Level or Apprenticeship course staring in September!

200 Years of LMC

200 Year Anniversary

OUR history

In July 2024 Lancaster & Morecambe College will celebrate 200 years of continuous technical education provision in the local area. The roots of LMC can be traced directly back to the founding of the Library and Mechanics’ Institute in 1824, which, after several moves, eventually settled in the Storey Institute, on Meeting House Lane. We are justifiably proud of these roots, and how the College has since continued to evolve a high standard of technical education relevant to our local employers and community, and to the continually changing times they have seen.

Having moved to its current site in 1963, the new College was officially opened by HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. Today the College has become infinitely more accessible through the construction of the Bay Gateway in 2016. Now sitting on the main artery into Heysham and Morecambe, the College has never been better placed to deliver the training and skills requirements.

We are planning a range of celebratory events throughout 2024 to mark our bicentenary and will be asking LMC alumni to share their stories and photos from across the years. Keep an eye on our social media platforms for more updates.

Join our 200 Year Anniversary Facebook Group to share your memories here!

Timeline of Lancaster & Morecambe College History

1824

Library & Mechanics' Institute first established in Mary Street, Lancaster

1831-1850

Institute moves its premises 3 times: Penny Street; Sun Street; Freemasons' Hall in Brock Street

1855-1856

Mechanics' Institute moved to Storey Institute site and opened as the Technical School of Mechanics' Institute

1860

Church of England Instruction Society was incorporated

1866-1867

Lecture Hall built alongside the School of Science established; and the Mechanics' Institute handed over to Sir Thomas Storey, who engineered the formation of the Morecambe Mechanics' Institute

1891

The premises was completely rebuilt and opened as the Storey Institute

1909

The Storey Institute premises was enlarged with addition of an art gallery and library

1919-1920

Junior Technical School established for boys wanting to enter various trades and the Lancaster Technical College is officially adopted

1931

The old Lune Valley Engineering workshops was purchased as an annexe to develop workshop practice

1940- 1943

Junior Technical School doubled in size and the Junior Commercial School for Girls established

1948

Morecambe Evening Institute (formerly Mechanics' Institute formed 1867) was incorporated and board of governors established for the whole college

1950-1951

The council session formally establish the Lancaster & Morecambe College of Further Education

1956-1959

First two building phases of the new college site on Morecambe Road completed, included Blocks A, B and the Lecture Theatre

1962

The whole College located on Morecambe Road site

1963

On 5 July this year saw the official opening of Lancaster & Morecambe College by HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

2024

Bicentenary celebrations to celebrate 200 years of continuous technical education provision in the local area

Construction workers working with building materials
Side shot of main site LMC featuring The Hexagon
Front of LMC Main Site
LMC Opened at current site by Prince Philip in 1963