The qualification aims to assist learners to develop their knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia. It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues relating to the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities. The qualification doesn’t infer competence in the work role, but can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
This course is designed for adult learners studying part time as a hobby or to support a change in their career.
The course will prepare learners for further training and support a role in the workplace where learners need knowledge and understanding of dementia care.
You will need:
• To be 16 years of age or above
• It may also be useful to have already achieved a Level 1 qualification in health and social care.
• To complete a satisfactory initial assessment in literacy skills.
You will study the following 7 mandatory units:
• Dementia awareness
• The person centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
• Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals with those who have dementia
• Understand equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care
• Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person centred approach
• Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
• Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
Each learner must create a portfolio of evidence which demonstrates achievement of all the learning outcomes and assessment criteria associated with each unit. You will be allocated an assessor who will support you through the learning process and assess your work, providing advice and guidance. You would be expected to complete the programme in 16 weeks.
This course is Distance Learning and has flexible start dates so you can start at any time throughout the year.
On completion of this course you will receive a Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care, from NCFE.
LMC is a great community asset and I think the local district are lucky to have such a modern, flexible and engaging place of education.
The best thing about our courses is that the teaching team have excellent industry experience with up-to-date equipment and materials. We are also very focused on all of our students achieving and being successful in their chosen careers.
Studying on the business course at LMC will open up numerous doors for your future, so if you can see business as a key part of your future and are prepared to seize every opportunity, our course will be the most amazing thing you ever sign up for.
Come and join us here as LMC! You’ll gain new skills, use industry standard equipment, be taught by a dedicated team of specialists who are passionate about educating you to a higher skills level, so that you can gain an Apprenticeship or full time employment.
I enjoy helping young people achieve their GCSE English, a key qualification which will open doors for them in the future.
I enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience of animals with students and seeing a learners journey as they make progress.